Wednesday, May 28, 2008

I Hate You, lol!

What is with LOL? For all of you that have never seen this expression and have obviously been hiding under a rock with no cell phone or msn, myspace or skype, "lol" simply means "Laugh/ing Out Loud".

I'm no enemy to acronyms. You can say so much in a smaller amount of time with them! After all, IHOP is like a second home to me in America and you should see how many acronyms they use there! Obviously there's IHOP, then there's FSM, FMA, FSM, CEC and the list goes on.



But LOL is a totally different kind of acronym that's attacking this generation. Shaun and I just happen to be having an msn conversation about why people say things like LOL.

Shaun says hi, by the way. =).

I mean, most of the time that a kid my age would say LOL ((usually not in caps, but I have to make it stand out somehow...)) they aren't really laughing at all. Maybe there's a slight chuckle or a hint of a smile going on, but certainly no laughing out loud. Maybe these people are all just liars. Or perhaps, like how it is for so many of my girl friends, LOL has become the new way to put a comma in a sentence or a full stop while they're texting. So a conversation can sometimes go like this:

"Hey Sam lol wat r u up 2 2dae lol I'm getting my legs waxed lol"

For the moment I'll look past the other strikingly obvious grammatical wrong-doings of the text sentence and just focus on the LOLs. I mean, to be honest, I really don't find anything funny about greeting me. Or asking what I'm up to. There's nothing even particularly funny about getting your legs waxed ((unless of course you are a non-sporty guy that is having to have it done resulting from losing a bet or something...)). So why the heck would you put a LOL in there?!?! It's like saying:

"Hey Sam, hahahahahaha. What are you doing today? Hahahahahaha. I'm getting my legs waxed hahahahahahahahaha."

Where is the grammatical sense in that?

So Shaun and I have come up with a few other acronyms that will help you in your future text or msn conversations that will help you express how you're actually laughing. Enjoy. =).

LQTM = Laughing Quietly To Myself
CQTM = Chuckling Quietly To Myself
NLOL = Not Laughing Out Loud
NLOLBLQTM = Not Laughing Out Loud But Laughing Quietly To Myself ((personal favourite))

Or of course you could just say what you're actually doing without acronyms if you're an acronym hater.

Chuckle
Haha
Mwahaha
Bahaha
Cackle
Snort
Hardee Har Har ((very sarcastic. I like!))
Snigger
HA!

Be creative, come up with some yourself and feel how great it feels to truely express your laughing self to your friends and family.

No comments: